Sustainability Update – Ongoing Actions
Our update this week continues to deal with our progress in addressing the requirements of our RSPO Certification suspension, as well as sustainability matters beyond the specific topics raised in the Complaint.
- The legal compliance analysis relating to compliance with National laws and regulations issues that was raised in the complaint has been completed and AsM Law, our appointed legal advisor, will update IOI’s management systems on this matter to ensure that it is robust and comprehensive.
- The latest update of our activity involves clear mitigation and restoration plans, on the peat area that was cleared, are in progress as well as Global Environment Center (GEC) visiting our site again on 22 May 2016 for further field verification and to check on completed actions.
- With regards to the requested Peer Review of the three HCV reports, which were produced between years 2009 and 2014, the review of one of the reports has been completed and the remaining two reports are expected to be completed within the week.
- On 3 May 2016, RSPO has requested, for complaint cases, that IOI submit a quarterly progress report accompanied by an endorsement from the IOI Corporation Berhad’s Board of Directors. IOI will be submitting this report to RSPO once the Peer Reviews of the HCV assessments have been performed and the necessary Action Plans have been addressed. The Board’s endorsed report will also include the resource allocation and policy initiatives towards sustainable development, to ensure that measures are in place to prevent recurrence. To ensure continuous engagement with all relevant stakeholders in this matter, we have also indicated our welcome of Aidenvironment’s participation in monitoring the Action Plans. It is anticipated that the report will be submitted to RSPO by the end of May.
- Proforest is advising IOI on how to further enhance the implementation of our sustainability policy commitments throughout the Group. After several rounds of collaborative discussion, we have been working on strengthening our policies, and will be ready to announce our new commitments within a week.
- On 20 May, IOI will be meeting with Greenpeace in Indonesia with a view to receiving and discussing their feedback on our Action Plan and other initiatives. We will report back on the outcome of the meeting in next week’s bulletin.
As always, IOI Group would like to reiterate that we remain dedicated to all necessary actions (both corrective and forward-looking) to demonstrate our continued commitment to building a world class oil palm business, based on our published sustainability principles of no deforestation, no planting on peat, zero-burning on all new planting and re-planting of oil palm, and to drive positive socio-economic impact for people and communities.